Articles on this Page
- 02/28/13--02:10: _Mike Lynch wants to...
- 03/14/13--05:08: _IT enabled competit...
- 03/25/13--10:21: _Observations on Gla...
- 04/02/13--08:42: _Executive search co...
- 04/10/13--04:27: _CIOs can learn from...
- 04/11/13--03:34: _Why Enterprise Arch...
- 04/15/13--10:46: _Is American science...
- 04/19/13--10:46: _Shouldn’t we be see...
- 06/04/13--12:05: _Spanish hopes, fear...
- 06/25/13--03:19: _Dublin’s new direct...
- 07/02/13--01:31: _The 2013 Gartner Hy...
- 08/02/13--03:50: _How much do chief s...
- 08/13/13--08:59: _Soon perhaps, there...
- 08/20/13--07:00: _Should services com...
- 09/03/13--01:30: _CEOs must invest de...
- 10/24/13--09:55: _The return of strat...
- 11/06/13--03:25: _5 Facts About Chief...
- 11/07/13--12:38: _Every Industry Will...
- 11/20/13--14:17: _Another CEO declare...
- 11/28/13--03:14: _“Every company is a...
- 03/25/13--10:21: Observations on Glassdoor’s top CEOs list
- 04/15/13--10:46: Is American science and technology slowing down?
- 04/19/13--10:46: Shouldn’t we be seeing a rise in industry collaborative platforms?
- 06/04/13--12:05: Spanish hopes, fears and technology
- 06/25/13--03:19: Dublin’s new direction: from destruction to digital
- 07/02/13--01:31: The 2013 Gartner Hype Cycles are coming soon
- 08/02/13--03:50: How much do chief strategy officers matter, to CIOs ?
- 08/13/13--08:59: Soon perhaps, there will be no good “undigital” paths to growth
- 08/20/13--07:00: Should services companies switch from Innovation to R&D?
- 09/03/13--01:30: CEOs must invest declining un-digital revenues wisely
- 10/24/13--09:55: The return of strategically inventive IT leadership – at last.
- 11/06/13--03:25: 5 Facts About Chief Data Officers
- 11/07/13--12:38: Every Industry Will be Digitally Remastered
- 11/20/13--14:17: Another CEO declares: we will be a technology business
- 11/28/13--03:14: “Every company is a technology company”– more and more evidence..
I read an interesting article this weekend about what Mike Lynch (founder and former CEO of Autonomy) is doing now. He’s continuing what one might call his life’s work – creating highly successful, big technology businesses in Europe and more specifically in the UK. His large new venture fund wants to put an end to [...]
Over the last few weeks, I have been reminded just how far ahead some businesses are in the great race of the information age. We are now at that stage of the marathon where the field is stretching out and the gap between leaders and laggards is getting bigger. Here are the ‘datapoints’ that set [...]
Last week glassdoor.com, a business social networking site, published its 2013 listing of the top 50 CEOs as rated by their own employees. The list is always interesting to review. It has limitations of course, for example most users of the site are US based, so companies in other countries don’t get so much attention. [...]
At our CIO leadership forum event in London in March, Dave Aron and I ran a panel discussion session with 4 top executive search consultants who specialise in information and technology leadership roles. In the course of a rich debate for over an hour we covered many issues. Here are just a few of the insights [...]
[ Update - more articles added, from the FT, WSJ and others ] Our new survey results show that half of CEOs can’t name a company in their industry that they admire for its use of IT. That’s not a surprise. Our survey also shows they get a lot of their ideas and information about [...]
“We use words like honor, code, loyalty…we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use ‘em as a punchline.” Colonel Jessup ( Jack Nicholson ) in the movie A Few Good Men. I will be attending Gartner’s Enterprise Architecture Summit events in the UK (May 14) and the USA (May 22) [...]
It is one of the big anxiety questions in modern business thinking. On the one hand economists like Tyler Cowan believe the fundamental rate of innovation is slowing. On the other hand economists like Eric Brynjolfssen think that millions of middle class jobs may soon be lost to accelerating automation. You can see a video recording of the [...]
Recently I noticed a Bloomberg news story suggesting that Visa Inc. might buy Visa Europe. Visa was founded decades ago as a cooperative organisation by many banks, to manage payment processing services. A few years ago it split in two and the US banks sold their stakes by IPO to form Visa Inc. The [...]
Last week I spent a couple of excellent days in Madrid and Barcelona. In my conversations with people, I was quickly reminded that this is a country in deep and continuing economic trouble. Some told me of their concerns that a whole generation of young people would give up on the country and simply leave. [...]
I’m a bit uncomfortable with the destruction part of the Schumpeter term “creative destruction”. Many economic thinkers believe it is a required process and that progress cannot be made without destroying what existed before. It’s an idea that found a ready marketplace of minds amid 20th century experiences of world wars, flattened cities, culled generations [...]
The Hype Cycle is one of Gartner’s longest standing research tools. Our clients use it annually, to help filter the deluge of new technology and innovation opportunities they might choose to adopt. Each year, hundreds of Gartner analysts are involved… [ click here to read the full post on our hype cycle blog ]
“Leaders who put their faith in strategy units are abdicating their responsibilities” [ Sir Terry Leahy, former CEO of Tesco ] I chose Terry Leahy’s quote because he has been regarded as one of the more successful Fortune 100 CEOs of recent decades and he has written a book encapsulating his wisdom.The quote shows he [...]
This week my colleague Ken McGee pointed out an article in the Wall Street Journal that provides more evidence of the end of the great BRICS story. Western business belief in BRICS as the big growth gold rush, has been a dominant feature of the corporate strategy landscape for a decade or so. That has [...]
This week I have been finalizing our new annual CEO research survey. One of the questions asks about investment intent for next year, in various areas of the business – marketing, operations, capital equipment etc. In my generic list of these high level areas, I include “R&D”. It has been interesting to watch intent towards [...]
Have you ever heard of “Chapter 33“? It’s a sarcastic Wall Street joke term for a company that has been in Chapter 11 bankruptcy 3 times. The fact that this has ever happened, serves to remind us of an important fact when thinking about strategic change in business – death often comes very slowly indeed [...]
With enormous relief, over the course of this year I have come to the conclusion that we are at last returning to the idea of truly, strategically, inventive IT leadership. It’s an idea that has been so suppressed for a decade or more, that I was almost giving up hope. A few weeks ago, I [...]
Whenever a new job role or title emerges in business, the reaction is usually a mixture of confusion, misinformation, conflation and denial. My role as a Gartner analyst is to help in creating research that will answer questions chief executives have about IT and business. So when a new C-level leader title arrives, related to [...]
The title of this post, is the title of a presentation I have been giving at our Symposiums in the US and Japan. Next week I will deliver it in Barcelona ( session link here ). It’s a position. It’s one I have taken several years to become confident of. I now believe that in [...]
This week I attended an interview presentation at the UK’s Institute of Directors ( IoD ) . The interviewee was Simon Calver, the CEO of Mothercare – a 52 year old British high street retailer with over 300 stores and $1Bn in revenue, specializing in baby and toddler care products for new parents. During his [...]
The quote in the title of this post comes from Peter Sondergaard‘s section of the Gartner Symposium keynote 2013. I just keep on seeing more examples that show how it is true. This week I noticed 3 news stories that provide more evidence. Argos Digital Store Reuters reports that Argos is introducing “digital stores”. [...]